2021 Annual Conference: Indigenous Peoples and the Law
***New dates: November 17-19, 2021***
***Postponed to November 2021***
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, CIAJ has decided to postpone its October 2020 Annual Conference to November 2021. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Image: “Sacred Circle” by Coast Salish artist from the Lyackson First Nation, Dylan Thomas
Bilingual program with simultaneous interpretation
Participation in this program is accredited in provinces where CLE requirements for lawyers are mandatory.
Participation in this program is approved under Section 41 (1) of the Judges Act.
Honorary Chair │ The Honourable Murray Sinclair, Senator
Chair │ The Honourable Robert J. Bauman, Chief Justice of British Columbia and of the Court of Appeal of Yukon
CIAJ’s 45th National Conference will focus on the important issue of reconciliation with Indigenous peoples of Canada. Reconciliation, as defined by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, is an “ongoing process of establishing and maintaining respectful relationships,” by rebuilding trust, making reparations, and forging true social change. The conference will bring together contributors to the development of Indigenous law in Canada. They will share their experiences, successes, challenges, and lessons learned for future efforts in expanding Indigenous government and self-government in Canada and toward reconciliation with Indigenous peoples. There are many challenges ahead. Reconciliation requires dedication and commitment from all stakeholders. This conference will permit continuation of active education and facilitate important discussions regarding Indigenous issues and laws.
Become a partner of the Conference!
Position your organization as a committed leader in supporting the administration of justice in Canada and reach decision makers and prominent members from all branches of the legal community and across the country. Discover all the possibilities in our brochure: Sponsorship Package / Exhibitors
- Justice Thomas J. Crabtree, Chief Judicial Officer, National Judicial Institute
- Ms. Jennifer Cox, Staff Lawyer, Dalhousie Legal Aid Service, Dalhousie University
- Professor Aimée Craft, University of Ottawa
- Judge Tina Dion, Provincial Court of British Columbia
- Justice Tracy Engelking, Superior Court of Justice (Ontario)
- Chief Judge Melissa Gillespie, Provincial Court of British Columbia
- Mr. Mark Gervin, Lecturer/Legal Services Director, Indigenous Community Legal Clinic
- Professor Jeffery Hewitt, Osgoode Hall Law School, York University
- Mr. Adam O. Letourneau, Lawyer, Mediator
- Professor Bradford Morse, Faculty of Law, Thompson Rivers University
- Justice Michelle O’Bonsawin, Superior Court of Justice (Ontario)
- Ms. Christine O’Doherty, Lawyer, CIAJ’s Executive Director
- Justice James O’Reilly, Federal Court, CIAJ’s President
- Professor Kent Roach, Faculty of Law, University of Toronto
- Mr. Scott Robertson, Past President, Indigenous Bar Association
- Justice P. Colleen Suche, Court of Queen’s Bench, Manitoba, CIAJ’s First Vice-President
- Professor Martine Valois, Ad. E., Faculty of Law, Université de Montréal
- Chief Justice Michael Wood, Court of Appeal, Nova Scotia, CIAJ’s Second Vice-President
For further information, please contact the Program Coordinator, Mary Plagakis
Tel.: 514-731-2855, extension 4
- 30 days or more before the event: Administration fees of $40
- 7 days or more before the event: 50% of registration fees
- Less than 7 days before the event: No refund
At any time, a participant may be replaced by another person without charge