CIAJ brings training right to your door!
“I have attended various decision writing programs over my career but this program exceeded expectations. It is very challenging but also highly rewarding. It performs at a very elevated level, largely because of the talent and dedication of the presenters, teachers and organizers.”
“It was simply the best course I have ever taken. It was so fantastic that if I had to pay fair value, I would not be able to afford it.”
(Comments from participants in the decision writing program)
The impact of CIAJ’s training program
The positive impact of CIAJ’s decision writing program has been noted in a study published in March 2021 on the Government of Canada’s website: https://www1.canada.ca/en/sst/plainlanguagereport.html
What we do
CIAJ is one of those exceptional national organizations that provides training programs to all players in the judicial system, which gives it a unique perspective on current issues and each one’s needs. In 2019-2020, CIAJ provided 35 accredited training programs for 2311 participants and mobilized 129 speakers, leaders in their professions.
The way we work
Our team analyzes your needs and tools in order to develop customized, bilingual, tailored training based on your experience.
Our programs consist of a combination of theoretical presentations, discussions and workshops that promote deep learning. This approach enables us to provide customized training at the leading edge of legal education and current trends. The programs can be delivered in-person, online or both.
To develop and deliver the programs, we draw on our vast network of experts made up of experienced judges, well-known academics, lawyers and consultants from all across the country.
Who we work for
Here are some of the boards, courts and tribunals that benefit from CIAJ’s expertise in decision writing and more:
- Canadian International Trade Tribunal – Specific Claims Tribunal, Ottawa, ON
- Chippewas of the Thames First Nation, London, ON
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, Toronto, ON
- Cour du Québec, Montreal, QC
- Conférence des arbitres du Québec, Longueuil, QC
- Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada – Refugee Appeal Division, Mont-Tremblant, QC
- Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board, Halifax, NS
- Ontario Energy Board, Toronto, ON Social Security Tribunal of Canada, Ottawa, ON
- The Parole Board of Canada, Ottawa, ON
- Tribunal administratif du Québec, QC
- Tribunal administratif du travail, Montreal, QC
- Social Security Tribunal of Canada, Ottawa, ON
The type of programs we provide
Our programs consist of a combination of theoretical presentations, discussions and workshops that promote learning. This approach enables us to provide customized training at the leading edge of legal education and current trends.
- Drafting decisions
- Conducting proceedings and evidence
- Managing an administrative tribunal
- Basic training in administrative law
- Tools for understanding Indigenous values
- Dispute resolution skills
- Extensive training for new judges
For all players in the administration of justice
- Managing parties who represent themselves
- The Canadian judicial system and the administration of justice
- Plain language communication
- Bias and prejudices
To find out more or request customized training
Please contact the Executive Director, Ms. Christine O’Doherty