Alberta Human Rights Commission: Call for Applications
The Minister of Justice is seeking applications from individuals interested in serving as the Director for the Alberta Human Rights Commission
Competition #: 796
Opening Date: 2023/11/28
Closing Date: 2023/12/22
The Minister of Justice is seeking applications from individuals interested in serving as the Director for the Alberta Human Rights Commission.
The Director makes reviewable decisions to screen complaints to be dismissed or referred to the Tribunal. The Director instructs legal counsel on unique and complex human rights issues being heard by the Tribunal and the courts. The Director oversees the case management and resolution of human rights complaints representing the public interest before the human rights tribunal and the courts. Reporting to the Chief of the Commission and Tribunals, the Director supports the Chief in providing leadership and direction for the administration of the Commission. The Director requires a legal background to interpret the Human Rights Act and other legislative authorities, to issue legal reasons for screening decisions, and to lead the team of lawyers who advance complaints to hearing. The Director is directly responsible for senior managers who oversee approximately 30 full time equivalencies. The Director oversees the budget and operational planning for the Director’s office.
Skills and Experience Required
The ideal candidate’s background includes:
- A demonstrated knowledge of administrative law. They will have a strong understanding of human rights, including the Alberta Human Rights Act, knowledge of the justice system, human rights jurisprudence, and the rules of natural justice and procedural fairness.
- Senior leadership experience with demonstrated strengths overseeing corporate administrative functions and managing diverse teams in a complex environment.
- Exceptional management skills, sound judgement, the ability to work collaboratively and make fair and independent decisions.
- Knowledge in financial and operational planning.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- A Bachelor of Laws (LLB) or Juris Doctor (JD) is required.
- A minimum of eleven years legal experience following admission to the bar in a Canadian jurisdiction and be eligible for membership with the Law Society of Alberta.
Final candidates will be asked to undergo a comprehensive background check, disclosure and conflict of interest screening.
The Director of the Alberta Human Rights Commission is a full-time contract position. The salary for the position is $8,313.36 to $9,502.54 bi-weekly ($216,978 – $248,016 annually).
This position can be located in either Edmonton or Calgary and provides leadership to office in Edmonton and Calgary.
For more information please visit: https://public-agency-list.alberta.ca/PublicAgencyOpportunityList/GetOpportunityById?opportunityId=796
CIAJ: National Student Committee: Call for Applications
Participate in CIAJ’s Activities, Gain Experience and Build your Network
The Canadian Institute for the Administration of Justice (CIAJ) is making an open call for applications to join their National Student Committee. CIAJ is a non-profit organization that promotes professional development, research, and education for judges, courts, and tribunals across Canada. Their work includes research in access to justice, professional development sessions on how to write judgments and decisions, and judicial internships for law students.
The National Student Committee recommends and conducts projects under the CIAJ’s research mandate, including the promotion of the CIAJ and access to justice through podcasts, articles, and other communications products. Members of the committee may also be asked to advise on CIAJ projects or judge essay competition submissions.
To apply, you must currently be attending an accredited law school in Canada. Please send your CV and a letter expressing why you’d like to join the CIAJ National Student Committee to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CIAJ: Board Members and Committees: Call for Applications
Participate in CIAJ’s Actions and Development
Join our Board of Directors and committees
All law professionals are welcome to join CIAJ’s network and take action. Together, we can have a real impact and make changes that count. Click on the following links to discover the distinguished members of our current Board of Directors, Committees of the Board and Program Committees.
Key statistics (2021)
- 2350+ members from across Canada
- 283 volunteer speakers who are leaders in their professions
- 7786 participants from all branches of Canada’s legal community
If you are interested in joining our Board of Directors or committees, please write to us at: email@example.com.