2020 Research Fellowship
- The fellowship competition is open to faculty and graduate students at Canadian universities.
- Applicants should complete the application form below and submit it by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than April 17, 2020 (instead of March 31, the deadline having been revised due to the COVID-19 Pandemic).
- In addition to submission of a completed research report, CIAJ expects to receive a complete account of expenditures.
About the Fellowship
CIAJ provides funds for the Charles D. Gonthier Research Fellowship, named in honour of the late Mr. Justice Charles D. Gonthier of the Supreme Court of Canada, a former President of CIAJ. The $7,500 Fellowship was created in 2009 and supports research in relation to the topic of the annual conference.
Each conference focuses on a specific aspect of CIAJ’s themes:
- Justice as a humanistic and social value
- Justice as a public service
- Justice in a global economy and interdependent world
Administration of Funds
The funds are administered by CIAJ on behalf of the successful applicant and are available to support research assistance or other out-of-pocket expenses, but may not be used as an honorarium. It is expected that the completed research will be presented at CIAJ’s 45th National conference in April 2021 (Vancouver, BC).
The maximum amount of the Fellowship is $7,500. The selection of the project for the research fellowship will be made by a committee composed of the President of the CIAJ (or his/her nominee), the CIAJ Academic Advisor, one of the Co-Chairs of the Education and Research Planning Committee, and one other person selected by the Executive Committee.
The successful applicant will be notified in April 2020. The completed research paper must be forwarded to CIAJ by the end of August 2020.
The recipient of the Charles D. Gonthier Research Fellowship is encouraged to seek publication of the paper in a reputable scholarly publication and to indicate, in an introductory note, that financial support for the research was provided by CIAJ.
CIAJ’s 2019 Charles D. Gonthier Research Fellowship of $7,500 was given to McGill Faculty of Law Professor Ignacio N. Cofone. Mr. Cofone made a presentation on “Regulating Algorithmic Transparency in the Administration of Justice” at CIAJ’s 44th Annual Conference on October 16, 2019.
Past Recipients & Research papers: /en/research/research-papers/