Seminar on Personal Prejudices and Cognitive Biases [2024 Edition]
Bilingual program with simultaneous interpretation
Participation in this program is approved under Section 41 (1) of the Judges Act.
Everyone who registered for this seminar will have access to the video recording afterwards.
Registration: This program is for judges only. To register, please see the contact information on bottom page.
Schedule: 11:00 am – 5:00 pm (Eastern Time)
***More details will be available soon.
This seminar aims to raise judges’ awareness of personal prejudices (including implicit biases) and cognitive biases and how to avoid their effects on decisions. The program provides judges with tools to recognize personal prejudices and cognitive biases in the decision-making process. The program brings to light why adjudicators should be concerned with unconscious and cognitive biases.
Understanding unconscious and cognitive biases is essential to promoting fair outcomes. The objective of the program is to help judges to address these biases, and to encourage them to suspend their judgment and maintain deliberative engagement from beginning to end of the decision-making process. Several strategies are offered in this training, including checklists to detect biases, decision-making matrices, and breakdowns, sequencing the reception of information in a manner that reduces the effects of biases, and considering an outside view in evaluating the facts and law.
- What are personal prejudices and cognitive biases and why should adjudicators care about them?
- How does the decision-making process unfold?
- What are the instances in which prejudices and biases present themselves in the decision-making process?
- How can we reduce the influence of prejudices and biases on adjudicators?
Please contact the Project Manager of Judicial Programs, Vicki Gondek
Tel.: 514-731-2855, extension 6
- 30 days or more before the event: Administration fees of $40
- 7 days or more before the event: 50% of registration fees
- Less than 7 days before the event: No refund
At any time, a participant may be replaced by another person without charge