MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 12, 2016 – Opening Remarks – What’s Happened to Law-making in the Current Political Climate – Politicians, Public Servants and Legislation (1:54:20)
8:30 – 8:35 am Opening Remarks
- Mr. Jean-François Couture, Secrétariat à la législation, Conseil exécutif, Québec
- Ms. Melanie Mortensen, Legislative Counsel, British Columbia
8:35 – 9:15 am What’s Happened to Law-making in the Current Political Climate
The current state of politics in Canada and the implications for law-making.
- Mr. Mark Spakowski, Chief Legislative Counsel, Ontario
- The Hon. Bob Rae, 21st Premier of Ontario, Senior partner at OKT
9:15 – 10:30 am Politicians, Public Servants and Legislation
How do ministers and their political staff view public servants in the legislative process? What is the role of public servants? This panel will consider these questions and how political-public service relationships have evolved.
- Mr. Philippe Dufresne, Law Clerk and Parliamentary Counsel, House of Commons
- Mr. Morris Rosenberg, President and Chief Executive Officer, Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation and former Deputy Minister, Government of Canada
- The Hon. Graham Steele, author, political analyst, Dalhousie law lecturer and former Nova Scotia Cabinet Minister