Part 2a | Legislative Drafting (2:14:01) In French only*
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 18, 2020
***Because of a power outage during the online event, the original sound in English was lost. Only Peter Birt’s presentation is available in English for this date (see separate video)***
12:00 – 12:15 PM OPENING REMARKS AND SUMMARY OF PREVIOUS WEEK
- John Mark Keyes, Sessional Professor, Faculty of Law – Common Law Section, University of Ottawa
- Sandra Markman, Legislative Counsel, Department of Justice, Government of Yukon
12:15 – 1:15 PM GENDER INCLUSIVITY IN LEGAL DISCOURSE
This session will focus on the differences between “sex” and “gender”, the origins of the terms ‘gender expression’ and/or ‘gender identity’ and the impact of the addition of the latter as a ground of prohibited discrimination and on legislative drafting.
- Jean-Charles Bélanger, Chief Legislative Counsel, Legislative Services Branch, Public Law and Legislative Services Sector, Justice Canada
- Louise Langevin, Full professor, Faculty of Law, Université Laval
- Kyle Kirkup, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Law – Common Law Section, University of Ottawa
1:15 – 1:30 PM BREAK
1:30 – 2:00 PM GENDER INCLUSIVITY IN LEGAL DISCOURSE (CONTINUED )
- Peter Birt, Legislative Counsel, Justice Canada (see separate video for the original presentation in English)
2:00 – 2:30 PM Q&A
Online Program | 2020 Legislative Drafting Conference 20th Anniversary: Making Laws in a Post-Modern World: Are You Ready?