How Does Civil Justice Take Charge of Those Suffering from Mental Health Problems? (1:24:00)
1:15 – 2:45 pm: Panel Seven | How Does Civil Justice Take Charge of Those Suffering from Mental Health Problems?
This panel will consider issues surrounding litigants who live with mental illness; what tools are available to assist such litigation? How can a decision maker minimize the impact of legal processes on the litigant? The symptoms of some litigants become appreciably worse when they encounter the justice system. Why is that? What can be done to address it? The panel will also address how personality disorders have a complex relationship with the law, which in turn reflects their complexity within the clinical community.
- The Hon. Judge Magali Lewis, Court of Québec
- Ms. Lucie Joncas, Lawyer, Desrosiers Joncas Nouraie Massicotte, Montreal
- Ms. Lisa St. Pierre, Program Manager, Canadian Mental Health Association, Ottawa Branch
- Sgt. Heather Matthew, NCO i/c Vulnerable Persons Section, RCMP, Surrey
- Dr. Jeff Turnbull, Chief of Staff, The Ottawa Hospital