Struggle, Recovery and Hope: A Series of Portraits (1:08:55)
9:00 – 10:30 am: Panel One | Struggle, Recovery and Hope: A Series of Portraits
Mental health has a face, and cannot be discussed in abstract terms. At times, limited access to mental health resources land people in the criminal justice system. After enduring such hardship, how do people recover, find hope, and come full circle? In this panel, we will explore a holistic and patient-centred account of the systems at play.
- The Hon. Justice P. Colleen Suche, Court of Queen’s Bench of Manitoba; CIAJ Second Vice-President
- Dr. Jamie Livingston, Associate Professor, Department of Criminology, Saint Mary’s University, Halifax
- Mr. Breton Umlah, individual with prior experience in the Forensic Mental Health System, Halifax
- Ms. Aileen McGinty, Crown attorney, Public Prosecution Service; individual with lived experience of mental illness, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
- Ms. Kimberley Brennan, MSW, RSW, Clinical Social Worker, Halifax